New Safety Manager Available to Assist U of U Health Researchers
Jul 20, 2021 3:00 PM
Sound science is synonymous with safety and toward that end, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) has embedded a new safety manager with the U of U health sciences campus. EHS created the position after seeing positive results when the office embedded a safety manager in the College of Science. As in that role, this new position will coordinate efforts to promote, create and maintain a safe and healthful campus environment.
Brandon Newell, an EHS safety specialist since 2017, has taken on the new role in health sciences. Previously, he worked as an occupational safety and quality assurance in U.S. Air Force.
The health sciences safety manager will:
- Assist with establishing health sciences and School of Medicine safety committees.
- Attend college-level safety committee meetings in order to:
- communicate university and regulatory safety requirements, and
- provide safety metrics, inspection trends, workers comp data and areas of focus.
- Coordinate safety solutions between EHS and the health sciences.
Open Office Hours
To assist researchers with safety requirements such as the Safety Administration System, Standard Operating Procedure writing and PPE assessment, Newell is holding drop-in office hours in-person or virtually. In-person officer are held at:
Skaggs Hall Bldg 582, Room 268
Tuesdays 9:30-11:00 AM, and
Thursdays 1:00-2:30 PM
Call or email with your questions or to arrange a virtual meeting:
Brandon.firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 801-581-8024