PathMaker Cancer Research Program
The PathMaker Summer Research Program at Huntsman Cancer Institute seeks to increase the participation of underrepresented students in biomedical cancer research and to encourage students to prepare for careers in research, medicine, and education. The program sponsors students for a ten-week summer research experience where they will learn laboratory training techniques and work on a project as indicated by a principal investigator in a university laboratory setting. Applications are now being accepted for the 2019 summer program.
May 28–August 2, 2019
- May 27, move-in day
- May 28–June 1, lab training
- June 3, lab experience begins (schedule TBD by lab; 30 hours/week)
- Every Tuesday, weekly group meeting/activity
Preliminary Schedule, Subject to Change
$2,600 plus summer housing and meal plan
Underrepresented high school students who have completed their junior year of high school prior to the program start, or current undergraduate students in good academic standing
Students will be selected based on eligibility and completion of the application. All applicants will be notified the first week in April regarding acceptance.
March 8, 2019
- Complete online application form and submit by the deadline. You must complete the application in one sitting—you cannot save your progress and return to it later. Application includes the following:
- Contact information
- Academic information
- Demographic information
- Parent/family education information
- Personal statement (500–1,000 words about your career goals, background, skills, and interest in pursuing a career in the health sciences)
- Copy of your most recent transcripts (Unofficial transcripts are accepted. Must be PDF.)
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or professor (must be PDF, or recommender can email to us directly)
- Letter of recommendation from a community contact (such as an employer or mentor. Letters from family or friends will not be considered. Must be PDF, or recommender can email to us directly.)
- Copy of parent or legal guardian latest tax return (only if claiming economic disadvantage. Must be PDF.)
- Application conditions and certification
- Once the application is submitted, you will receive an email confirming your application was received. If you do not receive this email, please email the program coordinators.
- After the application due date, all applications will be reviewed by a team selection committee.
- Applicants will be notified regarding acceptance by the first week in April.