Serving grades 4-12, Saturday Academy is a collaboration between all six entities on the University of Utah Health Sciences campus, which includes The Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine, College of Nursing, School of Dentistry, College of Pharmacy, College of Health, and the Eccles Health Science Library. Featured colleges/schools can be reviewed in 2023-2024 event schedule below. The mission of Saturday Academy is to develop and promote an inclusive campus environment and populate a strong applicant pool for admission into multiple health science fields for historically marginalized and underrepresented populations.
Saturday Academy providing a mentored pathway to higher education and specifically focused on education in the health sciences. Each month, Saturday Academy introduces students to various careers and fields of study in the health sciences through inclusive and interactive activities and lectures. Additionally, it gives students access to mentorship, access to the Health Sciences community, and information on various pathways to higher education.
Each monthly event provides 200 students with a unique experience related to the health sciences and includes the following:
- Transportation to and from economically disadvantaged neighborhoods
- Grab and go breakfast
- Health sciences-specific curriculum
- Age-appropriate hands-on activities related to curriculum
- Parent camps regarding college planning
- Near-peer mentorship
Registration is open to anyone and will close the Monday prior to the event or when full (up to 200 participants). Due to logistical considerations, unregistered students will not be able to attend.
2023-2024 Saturday Academies
Join us for our monthly Saturday Academy featuring different college and schools within University of Utah Health. All events are scheduled from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
¡Los invitamos a participar en nuestros eventos mensuales de Saturday Academy que presenta varias escuelas y disciplinas dentro de University of Utah Health! Todos los eventos están programados en el campo de la Universidad de Utah de 8:45 a.m. a 12:15 p.m.
|Featured School / Escuela de Enfoque||Date/ Fecha del Evento||Registration Opens / Fecha de apertura de inscriptción|
|School of Medicine / Facultad de Medicina||Sep. 30, 2023 / 30 de Sep. de 2023||Sep. 1, 2023 /1 de Sep. de 2023|
|College of Health / Facultad de Salud||Oct. 21, 2023 / 21 de Oct. de 2023||Oct. 1, 2023 / 1 de Oct. de 2023|
|School of Medicine / Facultad de Medicina||Nov. 18, 2023 / 18 de Nov. de 2023||Oct. 25, 2023 / 25 de Oct. de 2023|
|College of Nursing / Facultad de Enfermera||Jan. 20, 2024 / 20 de Ene. de 2024||Jan. 1, 2024 / 1 de Ene. de 2024|
|College of Pharmacy / Facultad de Farmacia||Feb. 24, 2024 / 24 de Feb. de 2024||Jan. 23, 2024 / 23 de Ene. de 2024|
|College of Health / Facultad de Salud||Mar. 16, 2024 / 16 de Mar. de 2024||Feb. 27, 2024 / 27 de Feb. de 2024|
|School of Medicine / Facultad de Medicina||Apr. 20, 2024 / 20 de Abr. de 2024||Mar. 19, 2023 / 19 de Mar. de 2024|
|TBD||May 18, 2024 / 18 de May. de 2024||Apr. 23, 2024 / 23 de Abr. de 2024|
- Events are 3.5 hours long, with breakfast provided 45 minutes before the program starts at 9:30 am. Students are divided by grade groupings: 4-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- For the following 2 hours, students conduct age-appropriate hands-on activities in small mentor-led groups by graduate students and faculty.
- For the final half-hour, students are brought back together, where all 200 students participate in a question-and-answer panel with mentors and instructors.
- Before departure, students have lunch, either catered or box lunch, before returning home.