Steering Committee Members
Elizabeth Bald, PharmD, BCACP
Linda S. Edelman, PhD, MPhil, RN
Lori M. Gawron, MD, MPH, FACOG
Leslie R. Halpern, MPH, DDS, MA, MPhil, MD, PhD
Ying J. Hitchcock, MD
Anne V. Kirby, PhD, OTR/L
Holly Sharp, DDS
Jennifer K. Workman, MD
Responsibilities of the WiHMS Steering Committee
- The WiHMS steering committee members are responsible for long-term strategy and external and public policy for all women in our organization, working collaboratively with the director of University of Utah Health Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion as well as Faculty Development.
- The WiHMS steering committee members are expected to help any faculty members who are applying to the AAMC early and mid-career scholarship or any other scholarship opportunities.
- The WiHMS Steering Committee members shall have the responsibilities to enhance the voice of women faculty, trainees, and students of each college and school and bring any relevant issues to the WiHMS steering committee from their respective school or college.
- The WiHMS steering committee members are expected to organize at least one meeting or workshop within the school or college that she represents and report the status of women in each school and college to the WiHMS steering committee.
- The WiHMS steering committee members are expected to attend the monthly steering committee meeting at least 50% of the time. Failure to comply with the requirements may terminate the steering committee membership prior to the three year-term.
- The WiHMS steering committee is comprised of three faculty from the School of Medicine, one faculty from the School of Dentistry, School of Nursing, College of Health, College of Pharmacy, and Health Science Library, as well as two co-directors; one from the School of Medicine and one from the disciplines above.
Selection & Application
- The WiHMS steering committee members are selected by the open application call to faculty members of the Health Science community. The call for application is sent by the beginning of March each year for the opening position.
- The Nominating Committee (see Articles VI) shall select a slate of candidates and participate in the interview process. The committee consensus makes the final selection. The nominating committee chair notifies new WiHMS steering committee members to the director of the OHEDI.
- When a WiHMS steering committee member position falls vacant because of illness, resignation, removal with or without cause, or disability, the WiHMS steering committee shall appoint a replacement to complete the term in progress.
- The term of WiHMS steering committee appointments is three years. At least 25% of the members rotate off each year.