UTAH'S PREMIER HEALTH CARE INNOVATION COMPETITION
Utah's premier health care innovation competition, the Bench to Bedside (B2B) program offers students from all backgrounds the opportunity to learn from health care professionals about the problems facing day-to-day patient care, and develop tangible, innovative solutions.
Register for B2B Canvas Course
Step-by-step instructions on how to register for the B2B Canvas Course
- University of Utah students should use their existing UNID to add this course to their Canvas Dashboard
- Non University of Utah students will be required to create a guest account via the Enroll page
During the seven-month B2B program, student teams form “startup” companies to identify an unmet clinical need and design a technology solution to address the need.
Each team has access to health care providers from a broad range of specialties as well as engineering and business professionals from the Salt Lake community to serve as consultants, key opinion leaders, and stakeholders. In that seven-month time period, students will have defined the clinical problem, evaluated the patent landscape, established a regulatory pathway, created a proof of concept prototype, and then develop a go to market strategy for commercialization.
The program culminates in April with a formal presentation of team projects at the annual Bench to Bedside Competition. The event draws participation from faculty physicians, residents, industry leaders, venture capital firms, and university leadership. Projects are presented by team members, then evaluated and scored by a VIP panel of judges. Top teams are awarded milestone funding to support further project development.
Our driving principles:
- Provide an intensive experiential education through a hands-on real-world environment
- Develop interdisciplinary teams of innovators comprised of healthcare professionals, students, investors and industry experts
- Immerse our innovation teams into the clinical environment where they can identify and understand healthcare needs first-hand
- Provide teams the ecosystem, resources, and education to all them to accelerate new technologies from concept to commercialization