PathMaker Scholars Cancer Research Program for Students
The PathMaker Scholars Summer Research Program at Huntsman Cancer Institute seeks to increase the participation of underrepresented students in biomedical cancer research and to encourage students to prepare for careers in research, medicine, and education. The program sponsors students for a ten-week residential summer research experience, where they will live on campus, learn laboratory training techniques, and work on a project as indicated by a principal investigator in a university laboratory setting. Accepted students who successfully complete the program will automatically be accepted into the following year’s summer program without reapplying.
- Application deadline: February 21, 2021
- Research Program Dates: May 31 - August 6, 2021
- Accepted students will receive a stipend of up to $4,000 for their participation in the 10-week summer program (amount depends on education level).
- Housing expenses and meal plan will be paid for by the program.
- Travel support is available to students who live outside Salt Lake City.
- Accepted students will have the opportunity to apply and attend a national conference to present their summer research. All conference expenses will be paid for by the program.
- Member of an underrepresented minority group as outlined by the National Institutes of Health
- Citizen or non-citizen national of the United States, or must have current valid Alien Registration Card I-551 or other legal verification of such status
- Current undergraduate students or high school students who have completed their junior year of high school prior to the program start
- Strong interest in pursuing a career in the health sciences and biomedical research
Students must commit 40 hours per work week to the program activities, which include their individual research placement and attendance at weekly meetings, program events, and activities. All students are required to present their work at the Summer Research Symposium organized by the Office of Undergraduate Research. During and upon completion of the program, students will be asked to complete surveys to evaluate the program.