Information for the Public

Why Does Utah Collect Information About Cancer Diagnoses?

The state of Utah has designated cancer as a reportable disease (Cancer Reporting Rule, R384-100). This means that if you or a family member is diagnosed with a reportable tumor, your doctor, lab technician, or hospital may report your tumor to the Utah Cancer Registry.

The state collects information about your diagnosis for population research only.

How do I request cancer information for a specific person?

If you are a cancer patient interested in obtaining your information from the cancer registry (or if you are a next of kin or legal guardian, or have power of attorney for an individual who had or has cancer), you may submit a Request for Confidential Cancer Record Form.


If you are a claimant or beneficiary for the Radiation Exposure Compensation Program (Downwinders) and you need a confidential cancer record, please visit the Radiation Exposure Compensation Program's website for more information.

You can also contact the Department of Justice at 1-800-729-7327.

Utah Cancer Registry Contacted Me. What Should I Do?

Utah Cancer Registry supports research to understand and reduce the burden of cancer, this includes contacting patients on behalf of researchers. Research studies that we are currently conducting are described here.

If you have received a letter from the Utah Cancer Registry about participating in a research study, be assured that this is legitimate research.

Utah Cancer Registry occasionally contacts members of the public to obtain information for our public health data. If you have received a letter from the Utah Cancer Registry requesting information about cancer treatment that you or a relative received, please know that this is a legitimate request in our effort to carry out our cancer reporting responsibilities.

The Utah Cancer Registry is authorized by the state of Utah to collect and maintain cancer information

If you have questions, please contact the registry at 801-581-8407 or

Where to Find Information About Cancer Rates In Your State

If you are a member of the public and are looking for information on cancer rates in your state, you can view reports from several sources, prepared by the UCR, the Utah Department of Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

G. Mitchell Morris Cancer Learning Center at Huntsman Cancer Institute

If you or a family member are affected by cancer and have questions about the disease, you can contact the:

G. Mitchell Morris Cancer Learning Center
or toll free 1-888-424-2100,

The learning center services are available to all, regardless of whether you are a patient at the Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah.  

Contact Us

Utah Cancer Registry

250 East 200 South, Suite 1375
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Phone: 801-581-8407
Fax: 801-581-4560