Research Focus Areas
The Neuroscience Initiative is organized around five disease pillars and five foundation research areas. These pillars and areas are of particular relevance to University of Utah Health.
Our disease pillars include the following:
- Mood & Behavior Disorders (e.g. Autism, Depression, and Addiction)
- Neuroimmune & Demyelinating Disorders (e.g. Multiple Sclerosis, Neuromyelitis Optica, Neurovirology)
- Acquired Neural Injury & Recovery (e.g. Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury)
- Episodic Brain Dysfunction (e.g. Epilepsy, Headache, Pain, Sleep Disorders)
- Aging & Neurodegeneration (e.g. Alzheimer’s Disease, Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease)
The Neuroscience Initiative also has five foundation research areas (foundation elements).
Our foundation elements include the following:
- Clinical & Translational science
- Imaging & Analysis
- Neural Connectivity
- Neural Engineering