Single-stall and/or Gender-free Restrooms
This inventory of campus restrooms is provided to ensure greater safety and privacy for transgender, nonbinary, and gender non-conforming people when using a public restroom. Many trans/nonbinary/GNC students have to plan their day around where a bathroom they can use is located. This list will hopefully help.
Unless otherwise stated, the bathrooms are ADA accessible to the best of our knowledge.
We may have missed some restrooms during our extensive search. If you find or know of a single-stall and/or gender-free restroom not on this list or find a restroom no longer available, please notify the LGBT Resource Center so they can keep this list up to date. Thank you.
University of Utah Unisex Restroom List
- Alfred Emery Bldg. - One gender-free single-stall restroom inside the preschool for the kids.
- Architecture bldg. - One gender-free single-stall restroom on second floor, room 230-A. From the elevator in the arts half of the building, turn left and continue over the bridge to the architecture half. Continue past the mini cafe and turn left before the stairs. Turn right at the next hallway and the bathroom will be on your right.
- Beverly Taylor Sorensen Arts and Education Complex - From the elevator, continue past the lounge area to the hall directly across. On the left, there are two gender-free single-stall restrooms.
- Biology Building- One gender-free single-stall restroom on the third floor. From the elevator, go forward and then take a left. It is immediately to your left before the next door.
- Business Classrooms- One single-stall male restroom on the first floor of the building. This bathroom can be found near the east entrance to the building in a corridor with a multistall women's restroom.
- Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building - Two gender-free single-stall restrooms on the fourth floor. From the elevator, turn right. Then turn left around the corner and they will be to your left.
- College of Social Work- Rooms 100C, 200C, & 300C. One gender-free single-stall restroom on each floor. From the elevator, go forward and they will be to your left near the end of the floor. They are next to the men's rooms.
- Fredrick A. Sutton Building (FASB)- On the lowest level (room 100L) there are three gender-free single-stall restrooms. Two of them have showering facilities, and the one in the middle is only a restroom. On the northern most side of the first floor. Turn right as you come out of the elevator and then right again. There are three single stall restrooms by each other. Two have showers and the one in the middle is only a restroom.
- Huntsman Center- One gender-free single-stall restroom. This bathroom is located directly across from the entrance to seating for section 2. It is labeled "special needs"
- James Fletcher Building- There are two gender-free single-stall restrooms. One is in the rectangular (east) side of the building: When entering the east (rectangular) part of the building, it is on the wall to the right when continuing down the hallway. Once getting off the elevator, it is dirctly to the left of it and directly across from the stairs. The other is in the west side of the rotunda: When entering through the doors on the west side of the rotunda, walk straight forward until the halls fork, take the left fork and immediately to the right is the restroom.
- Kingsbury Hall- In the changing area, there are two gender-free single-stall restrooms for the performers. There are also two lockable private shower cabanas with changing area. Must be crew.
- LNCO- Two gender-free single-stall restrooms on third floor. From the elevator, turn right then turn left around the corner. Two bathrooms will be to your immediate left.
- Marriott Honors Community (MHC) - There is one gender-free single-stall restroom on the first floor. From the elevator, turn left, and then turn right down a hallway toward the exit doors. To your left will be a corridor with three bathrooms. The single-stall one is in the middle.
- Marriott Library- On the second floor, there is a gender-free single-stall restroom on the west side of the floor. When entering from the elevator on the floor, turn right around the corner and continue down to the reserve desk. It is directly across from it and to the south of the writing center. On the fifth floor, a gender-free single-stall restroom is located on the east side of the floor to the north of the Library Administration Office. It is located to the west of the elevator and to the right of a men's restroom. Additionally are two gender-free single-stall restrooms available for library staff located on level 1 next to the employee elevator.
- Meldrum Civil Engineering-Two adjacent gender-free single-stall restrooms on the second floor. Enter 2nd floor through doors that are found at the end of a ramp between Warnock and Meldrum. Once through the doors, turn right down the hallway, then turn left at the end of the hallway.The bathrooms will be the second and third rooms on the right
- Office Building 44 (Gender Studies) - Two "co-ed" single-stall restrooms; one on each floor. On the first floor, enter through the North doors. Go past the daycare and immediately to the right will be a hallway that leads to a "co-ed" bathroom. On the second floor, which is not accessible to people with mobility disabilities, turn left once up the stairs and it will be against the West wall--another "co-ed" restroom.
- Orson Spencer Hall - One gender-free single-stall restroom. Enter the bottom floor of OSH. It is to the right of the doors on the northern end of the building. It is located near classroom 100 and near two gender segregated bathrooms.
- Rice Eccles Stadium- There are four single-stall restrooms on the concourse level. They are open during ‘large events only’. There are two on the west side and two on the east side.
- Performing Arts Building-One gender-free single-stall restroom on the first floor. Take either the stairs or the ramp into the North entrance. Once through the doors, go through the next set of doors and it is immediately to your right.
- Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building - On the second level (floor one) of the building there is a single-stall family restroom, room #1100N, located on the west side of the floor toward the north end between the England room and the Okland trading room. It is tucked into a crevice between two small walls. On floor 3, room #3000N, there is another single-stall family restroom on the west side of the floor next to a large art installation and also next to a small lounge. It is tucked into a small corridor.
- Social Behavioral Science bldg. – Several single-stall restrooms. On floors 6 and 8 there are gender-free single-stall restrooms, one on each floor. From the elevator, turn left, then turn left into the first hallway. It is to your left once again. Floors 7, 9, 10, 12, and 13, each have a gender-free multi-stall restroom; some with two stalls and some with a stall and a urinal. From the elevator, turn left, then turn left into a small hallway and it is to the left. You can lock the entire bathroom if desired as well. On floor 11, there is a gender-free single-stall restroom that also has a shower. From the elevator, turn left, then turn left into first hallway. It will be to your left again.
- Softball Field- There are two gender-free single-stall restrooms. One is located on the South side of the field near the ticket stand. The other is located on the South end of the field near the visiting team dug-out.
- Sterling Sill Center- One gender-free single-stall restroom. From the basement floor entrance, continue forward to the Office of Undergrad Research. Through the door, turn left into the workroom. It will be on your right.
- Stewart Hall- There is one gender-free single-stall restroom on the second floor. Up the stairs, take an immediate right. It is labeled "private." Not accessible. Must be faculty.
- Student Life Center - There are three gender-free single-stall restrooms and two gender-free single-stall changing rooms that have toilets and showers. In room 103/105 on the lower level, there are two changing rooms: From elevator, turn left, then turn right past the "Gear Central." Continue down the hall toward the men's room. They will be on your left in a small corridor. On floor 3 in rooms 3000L and 3000M, there are two gender-free restrooms: From elevator, turn left and continue to end of hall. Turn right and then left. There are two along the left wall. On floor 2 in 2000P there is one gender-free restroom: From elevator, turn left and continue to end of hall. Turn right and then left. Need to be enrolled or have a membership to access.
- S. J. Quinney College of Law (Old building)- One single-stall restroom, gendered "female." When entering the main doors on the west side of the building, turn right immediately and it is the second door on the right.
- S.J. Quinney College of Law (New building)- Five gender-free single-stall restrooms. On floors 2-5, exit the elevators and turn to the right, there is a bathroom on the left side of the wall. For floors 3-5, you have to be a law student. On the sixth floor, after getting off the elevator, turn right, walk past the gender segregated bathrooms and it will be on the left.
- Union Bldg. - Three single-stall restrooms. On the first floor of the Union on the northern most end of the floor near the billiards and bowling: one gender-free, one male, one female; all are single-stall.
- University Bookstore- Main floor, employee only. It is for employees only.
- UMFA- Three gender-free single-stall restrooms. Due to gallery closure and renovations, directions could not be gathered. But there is one in the South gallery of 1 floor. One on North gallery 2nd floor and one on South gallery 2nd floor. Purportedly numerous women's rooms are now neutral as well. Must have an active Ucard or pay to enter.
Health Sciences Campus/Hospitals and Clinics
- College of Nursing - Annette Poulson Cumming Building has single-stall/gender-free restrooms on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors.
- Eccles Critical Care Pavilion- First floor in the ER waiting room there are two gender-free single-stall restrooms. Directions are provided at the information desk for patients. On the fifth floor in rooms P5271 and P5721, there are another two gender-free single-stall restrooms.
- Eccles Health Sciences Library- There are two single-stall gender-free restrooms here. Take the north stairs to the second floor and before entering through the doorway on that level, turn to your right and there will be two single-stall restrooms. They currently are labeled "staff" but will soon be labeled unisex. These are not accessible.
- Edwin & Grace Madsen Clinic- They have several unisex restrooms through-out the building. The women’s clinic alone has three, they should be easy to find, and very accessible.
- HSEB- One gender-free single-stall bathroom and two gender-free single-stall showers. Take the elevator to the first floor. From the elevator, turn left and then turn left down the hallway toward the lecture hall. Turn left down the first hallway to the left and there will be three single-stall facilities. The first has a shower and toilet. The last two are just showers.
- Moran Eye Center - On floors three and four, there is one gender-free single-stall restroom on each floor. They are in the clinic area and are only accessible to patients.
- Primary Children’s Hospital/IHC- Pass through the reception area and continue down the hall. A single-stall restroom will be to the right. There is also one in the X-ray area.
- School of Medicine- One gender-free single-stall restroom on the 2nd floor. From the School of Medicine C elevator, turn left.Continue down the hall through two sets of doors. Turn right at the first hallway and it will be to your left.
- University Hospital - NOTE: Most employee restrooms on patient units are Unisex. Also, larger patient units typically have a Unisex restroom on them for visitors. Here is a list of more that we found:
- First/main floor- From the main entrance of the hospital, turn right and continue down to the pharmacy. A gender-free single-stall restroom is inside here and exact directions will be given by the staff.
- Second Floor- From the elevators, turn right and then turn right down the long hallway. Continue through the first set of doors and a gender-free single-stall restroom will be to your left in a waiting area. From the elevators, turn left, then turn right down the first hall. Then turn left and another gender-free single-stall restroom will be to the right down that hallway.
- Third floor- There may be three in different surgery areas for employees; we did not have access to the areas.
- Fifth and sixth floor- On both floors 5 and 6, there are employee single-stall restrooms. However, if you ask staff they will point you to them and provide access
- Division of Public Health/Department of Family and Preventive Medicine 375 Chipeta Way, Suite A - Two gender-free, single-user restrooms, simply labled "Restroom" are located in the Division of Public Health on the main level. Not wheelchair accessible.
- UIT - Gender-free single-stall restrooms are on each floor, however, the exact number and directions cannot be provided as card access is required to enter.
- University Health Care/650 Komas - Two gender-free single-stall restrooms. First floor directions: From the west entrance, continue forward past the staircase. Go through the next set of doors and turn left, then turn right at the end of the hall. It will be the second door down on the right. Second floor: From the elevator, turn left. Turn left past the staircase, then turn right at the end of the hall. It is the second door down on the right.
- UNI/University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Hospital- All units have single-stall restrooms for patients.
- University of Utah Rehabilitation and Wellness Clinic - One gender-free single-stall restroom. From the basement elevator, continue through the door in front of it and turn left. It will be the second door on the right.
- American Indian Resource Center - Three gender-free single-stall restrooms. One on north end of 1st floor. Two on east end of second floor. All have showers. Not wheelchair accessible.
- Benchmark 822- One gender-free single-stall restroom on first floor. From west entrance, turn left before the elevator. You will need to enter through the door on your left and then turn right. On the left toward the end of the hall will be the restroom.You must be a resident of 822 or HRE staff to enter.
- Chase Petersen Heritage Center- One gender-free single-stall restroom on first floor. From west entrance, turn right and continue toward end of hall. Turn left and it will be toward the end of this hall on the right.
- Gateway Heights- Building 806: One gender-free single-stall restroom located directly across from elevator on second floor. Must be resident of 806 or HRE staff to enter. Building 807: One gender-free single-stall restroom located directly across from elevator on second floor, room 62246B. Must be resident of 807 or HRE staff to enter.
- Honors College- One gender-free single-stall restroom. From south entrance, turn left and follow the hall to the end. Must check in with front desk receptionist.
- Research Administration Building- One gender-free single-stall restroom in basement. From elevator, turn left. Continue down hall past kitchenette and turn left down next corridor. There are two restrooms.
- Sage Point 811- Two gender-free single-stall bathrooms located past the workout room and elevator. Must be 811 resident or HRE staff to enter.
- University of Utah Guest House- Three gender-free single-stall restrooms open to the public. On first floor: from main entrance, turn left past the concierge and front desk. Two restrooms will be toward the end of the wall on the left side. On basement floor: from elevator turn right and then turn left. It will be immediately to your left.