Designed for business leaders, BioVentures is a detailed guide to the complex life science product development process, from conception to commercialization.
Learn how to navigate the world of life science industry product development in this rigorous program. Through a blend of lecture-based learning and interactive case discussions, you will develop a deeper understanding of clinical problems, solution creation, and early-stage product development in the context of regulatory and stakeholder requirements. Explore business opportunities as you gain competency in a wide range of key issues, including the methodology of strategic clinical problem-solving and core elements of early product development. You’ll also learn to identify, assess, and address ethical issues associated with innovating clinical technologies.
The two parts of the course can be taken separately or progressively as a comprehensive course.
The University Of Utah School Of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Utah School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 48.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NonDiscrimination and Disability Accomodation
The University of Utah does not exclude, deny benefits to, or otherwise discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran’s status, religion, gender identity/expression, genetic information, or sexual orientation in admission to or participation in its programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request, with reasonable notice. Requests for accommodations or inquiries or complaints about University nondiscrimination and disability/access policies may be directed to the Director, OEO/AA, Title IX/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, 201 S President’s Circle, RM 135, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, 801-581-8365 (Voice/TTY), 801-585-5746 (Fax).
None of the faculty or planners or anyone in control of content for this continuing medical education activity have any relevant financial relationships since the content does not cover any products/services of a commercial interest; therefore, there are no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
In this program, you will:
- Learn about the stages and key issues in early product development, including needs finding, ethnographic research, regulatory requirements, prototype design, concept generation and refinement, market opportunity, and segmentation analysis.
- Experience a unique clinical shadowing opportunity and conduct a clinical observation under the guidance of a clinician from the University of Utah.
- Study disease-state fundamentals and treatment landscapes.
- Learn about the challenges associated with the clinical introduction of new medical technologies, including issues with market analysis and business plan development.
- Discuss financial topics including market analysis, financial modeling, and health care reimbursement.
- Study intellectual property fundamentals, design processes, and prototype development.
- Understand regulatory fundamentals, hazard analysis, and risk management.
- Learn about bench testing, animal studies, clinical trials, ethics, and usability testing.