Inclusive Excellence Awards
Sep 14, 2017 12:00 AM
The Office of Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI) at the University of Utah Health is pleased to announce the 2017 Leadership in Inclusive Excellence Award nominees and recipients. The Leadership in Inclusive Excellence Award recognizes those who have helped to foster inclusive communities on campus through inter-cultural dialogue that fosters equal opportunity; inclusive research and programming; or recruiting and retaining excellent and diverse faculty, staff, trainees or students. For 2017, a category recognizing research was added and announced at OHEI’s annual academic year Welcome! We invite you to reach out to all Award nominees and selectees with warm congratulations.
- Jose Escalante is a student in the Physician Assistant program
- Matthew Petersen is a third-year medical student
- Karl Ramirez is a recent graduate from the University of Utah with a B.S. in Health Promotion and Education with an emphasis in Community Health.
Recipient: Karl Paulo Garcia Ramirez
- Partha Sardar, MD is a Cardiology Fellow at University of Utah
- Melissa See, MD, MPA is a recent graduate from the University of Utah Family and Preventive Medicine Residency Program
- Judith Simcox, PhD is the VP of the SACNAS Chapter at the University of Utah
- Katherine Smiley, MD is a member of the Center for Global Surgery, as well a general surgery resident
- SACNAS at the University of Utah
Recipient: Judith Simcox, PhD
- April Carlson, LCSW provides social work care for the inpatient unit and Spanish-speaking cancer patients at Huntsman Cancer Institute.
- Samir Courdy UUH Director of the Huntsman Cancer Institute Research Informatics Shared Resource
- Jeanette Ducut-Sigala, PhD is the Science Diversity Program Manager for the Combined Bioscience PhD Program and Administrator for the SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science) Chapter at the University of Utah
- Sarah Elizabeth Levitt is Associate Director of Administration of the Utah Center for Community Nutrition and the Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology
Recipient: April Carlson, LCSW
- Steven Bell, PhD is an assistant professor and coordinator of clinical education for the Department of occupational & Recreational Therapy at the University of Utah
- Carolyn Bliss, PhD is the Director of the Health Sciences LEAP Program, and a Professor of Undergraduate Studies
- Joan Gregory, MLS, AHIP is a tenured Librarian on the faculty of the of the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library
- Wendy Hobson-Rohrer, MD, MSPH, is the Director of the South Main Clinic
- Kalani Raphael, MD is a Tenured Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine, in the Division of Nephrology
- Ana Sanchez-Birkhead, PhD, WHND-BC, APRN is an Associate Professor in the College of Nursing
- Yda Smith, PhD, OTR/L is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Occupational and Recreational Therapies
Recipient: Joan Gregory, MLS, AHIP
- Nadia Cobb, PA-C is a faculty member in Division of Physician Assistant (PA) Studies and currently the Director of the Office for the Promotion of Global Healthcare Equity within the division
- Deanna Kepka, PhD, MPH is a tenure-track assistant professor in the College of Nursing at the University of Utah where she teaches the courses, Social Context of Medicine and Leadership and Advocacy, in the Doctorate of Nursing Practice program, and mentors several graduate students
- Lilliam Marie Pinzon, DDS, MS, MPH is a Research Assistant Professor in the School of Dentistry in the School of Dentistry
- Adi Gundlapalli, MD, PhD, MS is a tenured associate professor in internal medicine with adjunct appointments in biomedical informatics and pathology.
Recipient: Adi Gundlapalli, MD, PhD, MS
Dr. Gundlapalli’s lab had three articles about VA health equity included in the September 2017, Volume (55) of Medical Care, with two of the authors being mentees of Dr. Gundlapalli and recipients of funding from the Office of Health Equity and Inclusion.